Wednesday 4 December 2013






Continuing my Joan Crawford fest,  watched probably her most famous film last night - Mildred Pierce.

Wow, this 1940s B&W affair was amazing.

Normally during a movie, I am reaching for my iPad every few minutes, more out of habit than anything. The iPad didn't leave it's sleeve last night.

La Crawford is fantastic to watch on screen. She has the most perfect cinematic features - huge arched brows, sculptured cheekbones to die for and those full, full lips...

If you have not seen any of her films, I urge you to get hold of this (or, of course, the phenomenal Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?)

Was she the best actress of her day?

No, I wouldn't say that. But then Madonna is hardly the greatest singer of her age and yet she will go down as one of the most exciting. That is how I see Crawford - an amazing star. 
Bette Davis famously described herself as an actress, whereas Joan was a movie star. It was, of course, meant as a put-down. But what's wrong with being described as a movie star? They're a sadly dying breed.

No comments:

Post a Comment